Teacher and Author Resources
A. Dr. Sontag’s Handout for the March 6, 2022 CCSS Multiliteracy in the Social Studies Presentation
Multimedia Literacy_Sontag PowerPoint pdf slides
B. Sontag Classroom Resources:
- Ancient Elements Series Resources, including chapter quizzes, a WebQuest, lesson plans, and Accelerated Reader Questions —https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B1s1PBdekcbkYm0xQUJtLUZaY1E
- Ancient Mesopotamia Lessons —https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B1s1PBdekcbkN1B3cW5GQkMwOEE
- Rising Hope Teaching Resources —https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B1s1PBdekcbkZ3hXRGZfZ2FoTVk
- A Learning Theory for 21st Century Students —https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B1s1PBdekcbkaXRXaUQyMFowaG8
- California Trail Discovered – S.T.E.A.M. Projects
- Yosemite Trail Discovered – Alice Project Resources
*Video, Yosemite – Two Points of View: youtu.be/f1NOH4JJb_o
*Primary Sources – Yosemite: Two Points of View (pdf) –
*Alice Project Teacher Sample – Shows both points of view (GoldRush 1) https://youtu.be/7oiVApTWfhQ
*Alice Project Student Sample – Shows only Indian’s point of view https://youtu.be/7lrfkfrQ5qc
Email Dr. Sontag to book an author visit. Here is a list of topics she has addressed.
- Inspiration and Motivation – How Do We Find Them?
– Example of Ryan Murphy, Three-time Olympic gold medalist
– What inspiration and motivation means, and how I find these for my writing
– How students can find and maintain inspiration and motivation
- The Writing Process – Like Baking a Cake!
– What’s involved in the fiction writing process
– Personal writing-process examples
– Tips for students when writing fiction
- Dreams Are Like Hard Boiled Eggs
– How I pursued my childhood dream of becoming an author
– Help students identify dreams they have
– Motivate students to pursue their dreams
- Character Archetypes and Arcs – Utilizing Them to Craft a Powerful Story
– How to pinpoint your POV character’s unique s age-related struggles
– Utilizing your character’s age-related struggles to better plot your POV character’s story arc
– How to use the “W” Plot Chart for plotting MG and YA charactersFor Faith-Based Writing Groups:
Waiting on God Through the Seasons of Our Lives
Through examples of archetypes used in stories that reflect real life, this talk illustrates how to apply the insights found in characters’ age-related struggles and arcs (spiritual “flash-points”) to our personal faith-walk with God. (Click here to listen to a previous presentation of this workshop.)
- Read below to see what others have said about visiting and hearing Marie speak.
What Others are Saying
Thank you for your fun, friendly and information packed presentation. The students loved the story line, the in-class reading, the artifacts and of course, the freebies!
We eagerly anticipate your next book in the series. Best wishes from the Lion's denClassroom Teacher, Santa Cruz, CAMr. Livingston
What a delightful way to learn about an ancient culture!Principal, El Carmelo School, Palo Alto, CAChuck Merritt
Dr. Sontag captures the Ancient Mesopotamia culture in a captivating tale of a young boy's survival. Armed with his lucky dagger, Sam sets out on an adventure where he encounters numerous challenges and foibles, leading him to a lesson in forgiveness. A great read!Educator: Assistant Superintendent, CADr. Donna Lewis