FUEL YOUR CHILD’S FUTURE SUCCESS: When Steven Spielberg was sixteen, his parents rented a movie theater so he could show a feature-length movie he had filmed. Spielberg sold tickets and in one night made back the $500 it cost him to film it. A childhood hobby may not lead to a future occupation, but parental encouragement provides children with the confidence to pursue dreams that will fuel their future success.
If your child shows an interest in writing, here are some places they can explore:
- Young Inklings – http://www.younginklings.org/
- Resources for Young Writers – https://www.thecreativepenn.com/2011/07/20/resources-for-young-writers/
- Forty Websites for Young Writers – https://study.com/articles/40_of_the_Best_Websites_for_Young_Writers.html
- Tips for Young Writers by Author Rick Riordan – https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=81iwOVdWfIY&feature=youtu.be
- Authors Teaching Young Writers – http://www.teachingauthors.com/p/for-young-writers.html
- Writing Contests for Kids – https://www.thespruce.com/writing-contests-for-kids-2086738
READ AS A FAMILY: Another important activity for children is to have parents and caregivers read to and with them. Here are tips explaining why it’s important to read aloud with your kids, and how to make it count:
Top 20179Middle-Grade books selected by School Library Journal:
Top 2019 Young Adult books selected by School Library Journal: https://www.slj.com/?detailStory=best-young-adult-books-2019-slj-best-books
Books and tips for reluctant middle school readers – https://www.understood.org/en/school-learning/learning-at-home/encouraging-reading-writing/great-books-for-reluctant-readers-in-middle-school
- Read below to see what others have said about visiting and hearing Marie speak.
What Others are Saying
A terrific book for kids who like adventure, and for parents who'd love their kids to learn a bit about history. Well-written, a lively main character who struggles with his failures and searches for hope. Here is a hero who is flawed but resourceful, and who can lead readers on an adventure involving bad guys, jewels, new friends, and making choices. A real winner!Home-Schooling MomKaren Llewellyn